Search This Blog

Wednesday 17 October 2012

HONG KONG HIGHLIGHTS #2 // A Haircut

A Hong Kong trim is a cut above the UK equivalent AND cheap to boot. For 100 – 150 HKD (£9.00-£14.00) you can enjoy:

1. The chat... There is none! The language barrier means everything is conveyed through gestures and pointing; no need to fill the hairdresser in on the complex web of work relationships when they ask about your job. Simple.

2. The company… The second time I got my hair cut in Hong Kong, I was sat next to a woman with a small dog on her knee. That dog was in rollers. I repeat: A WOMAN WAS GETTING HER HAIR DONE WITH HER DOG, LITERALLY AT THE SAME TIME. Amazing.

3. The three washes… Maybe this isn’t standard fair when it comes to HK cuts, but when I went I got my hair washed three times. Shampooed and conditioned twice at the start and once at the end. All three times involved a brief, but delicious, head massage.

4. The style… Every boy I know has gone into a Hong Kong hairdressers holding a picture of themselves after their last haircut and asked it to be recreated. No matter what style is shown in that picture they have exited with a short back and sides hairdo with the fringe swept high and back. The hair gets higher with every visit. By the end of the year I might graze ceilings.

5. The magazines... Asian magazines with hilarious adverts inside. Enough said.

Want to recommend me a Hong Kong hairdresser? Leave a comment or Tweet me @chrispbone. Thanks.

#PFHK

No comments:

Post a Comment