Search This Blog

Monday 8 October 2012

HONG KONG HIGHLIGHTS #1 // Surfing in Sai Kung


When your centre of gravity is somewhere between your nipples, you're never going to be the world's best surfer. Did that stop me trying last weekend? No.

Despite coming from one of the UK's surfing hotspots, I had never surfed before, although in my head it seemed easy enough: catch a wave as if you're about to body board, then stand up. Simple. I stand up all the time.

Cue my first surf lesson.

Surf Hong Kong is a relatively new establishment at Tai Long Sai Wan, a coastal village in Sai Kung Country Park, offering lessons in surfing and kayaking without a high rise in sight. The teachers are relaxed, befitting the serene setting, and there are spaces for camping if you want to make a weekend of it.

You start off learning the basics on the sand: how to hold your board, how to lie on it, how to paddle, and how to stand. It's a piece of cake on solid ground. As the instructors words came at me, I couldn't help glance over his shoulders to the sea dancing behind and think: I'm so ready.

And then you get to the water and everything you've learnt is washed away with the first crashing wave. After my first attempt at standing, in which I reached a semi-kneel only moments before reaching the sand, my confidence dispersed with the swell around me.

Unsuccessful though I was, the fun was in the trying & if you ever stay for an extended time in Hong Kong I recommend you give it a go to.

Have you been surfing in Hong Kong? Got any recommendations for other outdoor activities? Leave a comment or send me a Tweet to @chrispbone.

PFHK

No comments:

Post a Comment