Search This Blog

Sunday 27 January 2013

HONG KONG HIGHLIGHTS #11 // The Salt Yard

The Salt Yard is the latest independent art space to crop up in one of Hong Kong's out-of-the-way industrial buildings. Dedicated to photography, its launching exhibition, "Mother Russia", showcases the work of four emerging Russian photographers. On a quiet Sunday, I took a look...

Finding The Salt Yard was slightly challenging (mainly because I didn't check a map), but in an alleyway en route I saw this...
It summed up the mood.

And, just like this bright poster in its dark alleyway, The Salt Yard revealed itself on the fourth floor of a dusty industrial building in Kwun Tong...
It was spacious, calming and had lights like this...
Although the exhibition consisted of only 16 photographs, there was an interesting archive of photography magazines to flick through and the space lends itself well to some quiet reflection. All was going well until I opened a magazine onto this...
Yikes.

So, all in all, a slightly-traumatizing experience in a wonderfully relaxing new art space. I'm looking forward to seeing what they exhibit next.

Want to recommend an art space? Been to The Salt Yard? Leave a comment or Tweet me @chrispbone. Thanks.

PFHK

2 comments:

  1. I like the way how you observe the city, specially the "opportunity" landscape, I never notice this picture around us.ha! Sometimes we lost the way,but got bonus! Nice postcard : )

    ReplyDelete