Search This Blog

Tuesday 20 November 2012

HONG KONG HIGHLIGHTS #6 // Muji

Stationary is my crack; Muji is my dealer.

I know it’s expensive; if I had $10 for every time a person told me that, then I’d still probably still only be able to buy a rollerball pen, but there’s just something about this Japanese retailer that makes it worthwhile.

The quiet branding, the streamlined functionality, the minimalist design: there are few brands that I would shout home about in this way. Muji deserves it.

Compare it, if you will, to the UK’s purveyor of pens & paper goods: WHSmiths. Whereas ‘Smiths stack their shelves with pencil cases shaped like giant coke cans and scented gel pens that reek of toilet detergent, Muji boasts a simpler aesthetic that fits quietly into your life.

I’ve browsed their Oxford Street store before, but in Hong Kong, the ease and convenience with which I can get my Muji fix (there are 10 in the city) makes it one of my HK Highlights.

Hate Muji? Want to start a fight about it? Leave a comment or Tweet me @chrispbone. Thanks.

PFHK

No comments:

Post a Comment