Search This Blog

Sunday 14 April 2013

HK PROBLEMS // Polluted City


Via @i4harold

Leaving my flat on an early morning Pret run yesterday, I could not help but notice the smog that had draped itself over the city while I slept. For the first time since moving here, the change in air quality overnight was jarring.

The buildings hummed behind the thick air, high-rise apartments faded into the glowing sky, while distant skyscrapers appeared as silhouettes. I’d never seen it like this.

Data from the Environmental Protection Department's website had pollution levels at "severe" in Mong Kok. Perhaps not surprisingly, people were out and about as if it was any normal today, but the Twittersphere was unanimously grossed out:

Via @1bidinthehand

Via @dadahack

Via @peter_tl

Via @HarperBliss

Via @pereguinn

Today, the sky remains murky, like a dreach Scottish day accept the air is hot and close. Living like this, draped in industrial fart gas, seems straight from a doomsday movie, but people here have known it for so long. Few of my colleagues will indulge my shock.

I wonder where this toxic air will go, which community will it smother next and how much is my way of life to blame? Depressing thoughts for a Monday morning.

#PFHK

No comments:

Post a Comment