Search This Blog

Tuesday 19 February 2013

Q&A // Steph Carter, Poet


Steph Carter is another fresh Hong Kong resident just like me - only she has a talent. Here, the young writer (and author of today's poem) answers questions about her work, inspiration and Hong Kong's poetry scene.

Where do you write?
In my room, wherever that may be. Sometimes a 10 line poem will take two or three hours and I’d feel self-conscious scribbling away in public.

Paper & pen or Laptop?
Laptop.

What poets do you most admire?
Sylvia Plath, Simon Armitage, Carol Ann Duffy, Emily Dickinson, Walt Whitman, Tony Harrison and Maya Angelou.

Favourite poem?

‘Lady Lazarus’ by Sylvia Plath.

What do you find inspiring about Hong Kong?

The disparity between the life you’re supposed to be experiencing and reality. People say ‘oh, you live in Hong Kong, you’re supposed to be having the time of your life’, but they ignore the realities of life in a foreign environment, which can be loneliness, disillusionment and lack of communication. 

Hong Kong may be at the forefront of the digital revolution but what we miss is the human interaction between the screens. It’s easy to feel insignificant in Hong Kong, and it’s even easier to feel detached from the life you had back at home.

Does your writing have an overriding theme?
I write about shared themes and shared emotions. Many people are turned off by poetry because they think it’s aloof, it doesn’t relate to them or their experiences. I think that’s untrue and it’s a perception that needs to be shattered. 

Poetry, like fiction, can be about whatever you want it to be, whether that’s how you feel in the morning, the colour of your socks or the oil crisis in the Middle East. Usually I write about feelings we all share and experiences many of us have had, like family troubles, cheating exes or rubbish sex!

You share your work on Jottify, what are the benefits?
The support you get from those who use Jottify is outstanding. It can be hard to have the confidence to share your work, but the writers on Jottify have always offered me constructive criticism, praise and encouragement. 

Is there a place for poetry in Hong Kong?
There’s a place for poetry everywhere. I think that the digital nature of cities like Hong Kong can work to the poet’s advantage. Everyone’s on Facebook and Twitter, everyone is always sharing what they like, offering opinions, and sharing again. Every day the audience for your writing grows larger, and as that audience grows so does the possibility of being heard. 

That said, I think we need to re-establish a place for poetry, and for reading and writing in general, in this digital age. When was the last time you sat down for a whole hour and read a book, uninterrupted? We are losing skills that our families before us treasured. We need poetry and writing to remind us of what we’re capable of. Words are beautiful, but we’re increasingly neglecting them.

What are the best and worst things people have said about your writing?
I think I’ve been quite lucky because no one’s ever said anything too upsetting about my writing! I’ve had the odd negative word, I think ‘vapid’ was one of the worst. But as in anything, criticism should only make you strive to be better. I’ve had some fantastic compliments about the way I use language, but that’s just because I like to play with words. I never ever show my family my writing though – I think it would shock them!

What’s your favourite poem that you’ve written?
It’s hard to choose because each poem is of a certain time and feeling, but I think my top three are ‘I Bet You’re Thinking Of Me’, ‘Waiting For The One’ and ‘Fifteen Shapes’.

You can read more of Steph Carter's work here

Got a favourite Hong Kong writer you want to shout about? Leave a comment or Tweet me @chrispbone. Thanks!

#PFHK

No comments:

Post a Comment